Acne & Oily Skin Treatment and Control
Acne is a common skin condition caused by inflammation of the hair follicle and oil glands (pilosebaceous unit) giving rise to blackheads, whiteheads, pimples and larger lesions called nodules and cysts.
It occurs on the face, chest and back and may cause scarring. Acne is disfiguring and the resulting depressed scars are permanent, which is why early treatment to target the process that causes it is advised.
People with acne produce more keratin which blocks drainage of oil from the oil gland. Keratin is a protein made by skin cells.
Acne sufferers also secrete excess oil as they are more sensitive to male hormones in their body. Note that ladies also have male hormones. The excess oil and keratin form plugs called whiteheads and blackheads or comedones.
Acne sufferers also have a bacteria called P. acnes which act on these comedones causing inflammation. These inflamed lesions are commonly called pimples, which are red bumps or red bumps with pus. More serious inflammation results in larger bumps called nodules and cysts.
Acne Treatment Options:
- Carbon Laser Peel – effective in controlling excess oil and unblocking pores
- IPL – targets bacteria with light and provides instant glow with improved skin tone
- Blue LED or Photodynamic Therapy – targets bacteria with blue light
- Silkpeel – exoliates dead skin and keratin and helps infuse healing lotions to unblock oil glands
- Chemical Peel – peeling process removes dead skin, dries pimples and loosen comedones
- Home care products – cleanser and moisturiser that is suitable for acne care
- Injections – uses steroids to reduce inflammation and aids healing and prevention of scarring
- Oral medication – antibiotics or isotretinoin may be prescribed
Laser for acne
Carbon Peel Laser is a popular laser treatment for acne as it helps to unclog the pores and dry acne up. Read more about it here.
Prevention is better than cure. Once acne has cleared, we will recommend a maintenance plan with daily skin care and procedures to prevent further outbreaks and keep the skin clear, smooth and glowing.
A healthy balanced diet helps skin condition. A diet that includes low GI carbohydrates (whole grains, beans, lentils) can help. Avoid sugar laden food and drinks and excessive dairy products
Do not pick or squeeze pimples. This makes inflammation worse and causes scarring.
Avoid touching your face
Keep hair away from affected areas.
Do not clean your skin more than twice a day as acne is not caused by dirt.
What causes acne scars?
Inflammation in a pimple may cause it to burst and damage deeper skin tissue called the dermis. Damage to the dermis will result in scar formation.
What are the types of acne scars?
Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH), which is a dark spot left behind by a pimple. This usually fades away after a few months.
Depressed scars of which there are a few types:
- Ice pick scars which are narrow and deep,
- Box car scars which are wider and shallower
- Rolling scars in which the skin looks like it has ripples.
- Hypertrophic scars and keloids which look like lumps on the skin.
Different scars require different acne scar treatment. The most important thing is to treat the acne in order to minimise inflammation and make it heal and prevent scars from forming.Do not squeeze pimples as this may cause it to rupture deep in the dermis and cause a scar. Acne scars are usually tricky to treat.
Do not hesitate to receive your acne scar treatment after your acne has cleared.
Besides acne scar treatment and prevention, is there anything else we can do about the scars?
Acne Scar Treatment Options:
- Laser toning and lightening creams can help accelarate the fading of dark spots (PIH) left by pimples
- Chemical peels also help with PIH.
- Fractional Laser – this resurfacing treatment makes the scar shallower and less visible
- INTRAcel RF – Uses radio frequency to stimulate collagen
- Fillers – Dermal fillers for acne scars show great results and improves the appearance of depressed scars by lifting them up. These fillers for acne scars also fill in the depressed scars and plump them up. Although the effect of fillers for acne scars are temporary, fillers for acne scars can last between 6-12 months. Filler for acne scars are sometimes combined with subcision which is a surgical method used to free certain acne scars. Check with a doctor to determine if fillers for acne scars is suitable for you!
- PDRN (Polydeoxyribonuclotides) – Cells derived from salon DNA can permanently repair damaged tissues and speedily regenerate cells.
- Steroid injections may be used to treat hypertrophic scars and keloids.
Oily Skin and Enlarged Pores
Everybody has skin pores. These are the dots on the surface of your skin and they contain a sebaceous gland which produces the skin’s oil.
Individuals with oilier skin condition tend to have pores that are more visible. Enlarged pores can also be caused by excessive exposure to sun and aging.
Oily Skin Treatment Options:
- Carbon laser treatment – targets the production of excessive oil, exfoliate and unblock pores.
Get in touch with us or book an appointment here for your first acne scar treatment!
Consider acne treatment in Singapore! Gangnam Laser Clinic offers a spectrum of laser treatments or laser for acne scars to help each and every individual with their skin needs. For laser treatments in Singapore, Gangnam Laser Clinic is located at 2 convenient locations : Raffles Place & Habourfront Centre. Our trial price for Q-Switched or Carbon Peel laser treatments is $48.